Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

A red patch in my mouth that is really sore which has been

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: a red patch in my mouth that is really sore which has been making it hard to eat
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: about a week drinking cold water makes it better eating makes it worse
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no I have a picture of it
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you attach the picture here? Also what is your age and gender? Any other symptoms? Or medical conditions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Attached is the picture. There are little white spots you care barely see too. I recently got a sore throat so I do not know if I might be getting sick or if they are cankers.

Thank you for the picture.

In most cases, these kind of sores are due to canker sores or aphthous ulcers. They can arise due to a number of conditions which can include poor oral hygiene, a recent infection in the throat such as in your case, viral infections or even nutritional deficiencies. In your case these do look like canker sores and should heal on their own over the course of the next week, however if they last for more than three weeks or you develop additional symptoms like bleeding, severe pain in the sores, problems in eating or drinking etc then you would have to see your doctor to rule out bacterial infections or even dental infections for which oral antibiotics would have to be used.

Now In your case this is likely to be canker sores, which as i said will heal within a week or 10 days, but you can help speed up teh process by using teh following home measures,

• using a rinse of saltwater and baking soda
  • using over-the-counter benzocaine (topical anesthetic) products
  • applying ice to canker sores
  • using mouth rinse that contains a steroid to reduce pain and swelling
  • Use nutritional supplements which contain zinc, vitamin B12 as nutritional deficiencies can be a cause as well

So i think this is nothing to be worried about at the moment, simply use the above measures and if they last for more than three weeks or you develop any of the other symptoms including extension of the ulcers to the lips then see your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/