Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Wife suffers from pulmonary sarcoidosis and has been on

Customer Question

wife suffers from pulmonary sarcoidosis and has been on predisone 10mg
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: she is also on methotrexate 5mg weekly. She has been stable until she developed viral infection and have been having a dry cough persistently.I have nebulized her daily with pulmicort feel better an din morning she will develop a wheeze. Her condition is persisting for one week. she no fever but feels tired. Is their any thing else I can do?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she has taken a course of Avalon 400mg antibiotics for 5days. although the pulmonologist to continue medication. I am concern about the coughing but she sleeps well without coughing
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your wife. Now it is possible that your wife may have developed acute bronchitis due to teh viral infection. This can cause the air passages to narrow down due to inflammation. This can cause wheezing to occur at different intervals. Now while pulmicort is a good drug for long term control of this problem, a better option would be salbutamol nebulization or even an albuterol inhaler, these drugs are excellent in providing immediate relief from the symptoms. In addition i think she would benefit from a combination of salmeterol + budesonide or another steroid combination. This will prevent attacks to occur in the afternoon or morning as well. Lastly it might be worthwhile to temporarily increase the dose of her steroids to about 40 - 60 mg a day for control of the wheezing as well the cough. A short course of 5 days can be used in most cases to counter the inflammation in the lungs.

now i would suggest that you talk to your doctor about these above option and in addition also get him to do an xray of the chest which would rule out any serious bacterial infections which might have not been treated with avalon.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.