Thank you for the quick reply.
The most common causes of anal incontinence you are having on & off since last 3 years and now having severe since last 3 months are:Severe diarrhea,stress,damage to the nerves that control the anal muscle, reduction in the elasticity of the rectum, Inflammatory bowel disease(IBD).It is more common in elderly age as the there is reduction in the elasticity of the rectum.History of constipation is another common cause.It causes the muscles of the anus and intestines to stretch and weaken.Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS) is the other common cause.
Any underlying disease needs to be diagnosed & treated accordingly.
You need to anal manometry,proctography,anal electromyography tests for nerve damage and see your doctor for the clinical examination.
Treatment of anal incontinence includes:
- If the anal muscles are weak, injections of ‘bulking agents' into the wall of the anus may help.
- Anti-diarrheal drugs such as loperamide hydrochloride (Imodium) and Lomotil can be prescribed.
- Bowel retraining and pelvic floor exercises
- Treatment varies from medications ,dietary changes,bowel training to the last option of surgery according to the cause.Surgery may be recommended for people whose bowel incontinence is not helped by noninvasive treatments.
Surgery is usually the last resort to treat anal incontinence.Surgical option are:
- Sphincteroplasty(stitching the anal muscles tightly)
- Sacral nerve stimulation
- Radiofrequency remodeling
So my best advise for you is to first get the prescription of above described medications & make the dietary changes & this usually helps a lot.Surgery is last option & is less commonly required.
Hope this helped.
If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me