Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 63 year old male and type 2 diabetic. I had fall

Customer Question

I am a 63 year old male and type 2 diabetic. I had fall while working and bite down badly on the last half inch of my tounge with my front 2 teeth. It has slowly formed a white area and a tab has risen. The tongue heals quickly and its been 2 weeks. I have used peroxide, a assume it will continue to burn like hell.I us some anbesol also. My concern is that it assumes its original shape as it effects my speech now
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

sorry that you bit down badly on your tongue.

this can be very painful

peroxide can be very irritating. I would rinse with salt water as a way to kill bacteria in your mouth

it is important to also keep good oral hygiene and keep your teeth as clean as possible at this point

you really should see an ENT or ear nose throat doctor to examine your tongue trauma area to make sure you are healing properly

you may need a course of antibiotics to prevent infection

anbesol is fine to use to help numb up the area and decrease pain.

you may benefit from eventually seeing a speech and swallow therapist who can work with you with tongue and mouth and speech exercises to get your speech better.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com