Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Got a tickle in the deep bottom of my chest. Feels like

Customer Question

Got a tickle in the deep bottom of my chest. Feels like something tiny fluttering around down there when I deep breath.
Only really happens when I'm half reclined on my office chair. This of course causes me to cough as if to cough up wha5ever down there and all that results is a tiny bit of expactorate. The resulting expactorate is clear with no sign of blood whatsoever.
I do smoke, however I checked the 10 symptoms for lung cancer and I don't have any of them. Also, when I'm standing up or walking my lungs feel 100% clear.
Wascat the Dr. last week and he listened to my chest and said I was clear.
I'm a hypochondriac, currently hav8my tests done for heart health as I'm turning fifty. I'm trying to quit smoking.
But this little tickle/flutter is driving me nuts.
Also, myself and the people in my office were hot a few weeks back with a pretty severe chest cold. We all took over the counter stuff and ride it out.
Please help! What could this be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a couple of conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed arrhythmias, which is a condition in which the heart beats regularly and quicker than usual. This can cause palpitations, fluttering of the chest, shortness of bfreath, coughing, sweating, chest pain among many other symptoms. This would need t be evaluated with the help of a simple EKG, a echocardiogram as well as a 24 hour holter monitor test. Sometimes arrhythmias can be missed on a simple EKG and thats why the 24 hour test has to be done.

Another cause can be a problem with the stomach which can cause acid reflux which can result in these feelings as well as the cough. This can worsen when you lie down and would also cause a bitter taste in the mouth as well as burning in the chest. The diagnosis can be made clinically however sometimes an endoscopy is required. I would suggest that you start using OTC prilosec and see if that helps.

Lastly this can be a problem with the lungs themselves sometime a little fluid in the lungs due to an infection etc can cause these sort of symptoms, a simple xray or if needed a CT scan of chest would rule this out as a cause bit i think you should have your doctor look into the above conditions first as possible causes here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.