Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have ben having left temple discomfort for several months.

Customer Question

Hello. I have ben having left temple discomfort for several months. It fees vascular. When I cough, yell, or strain, I feel pressure in the left temple. Sometimes I also have mild pain (very mild) that radiates down the left side of my head, almost linear. I am getting concerned. I am otherwise healthy 49 year old female. Any thoughts?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: No nausea or other symptoms. The discomfort subsided for several weeks, but has recently returned.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I treat for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I am active. I am in decent shape. Non smoker. Otherwise healthy. Blood pressure and cholesterol under control.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

vascular temple pain can be from giant cell arteritis inflammation of the artery or veins in your temple area.

you would need to see a doctor or rheumatology expert to get a biopsy of one of these blood vessels in your temple area

that would be able to show blood vessel inflammation which could be causing your pain there .

there are blood tests which can look for inflammation in your body as well such as ESR or C reactive protein

steroid medications can often calm down inflammation in these vessels which could help.

do you have a doctor you can see for these tests?