Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Please explain CHF congestive heart fILURE

Customer Question

please explain CHF congestive heart fILURE
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for waiting. Congestive heart failure is a condition where hearts ability to pump blood to various parts of the body reduces. Blood is pumped from our different parts of the body back to heart and then heart pumps this blood back to those parts and this cycle goes on. Due to certain causes like infections, heart muscle diseases, chronic conditions like anemia, high blood pressure etc, the ability of hearts ability of pumping is reduced and this is called Congestive heart failure. This can be further classified as mild, moderate or severe depending on the extent of the disease. Mild cases can be managed with life style modifications like cessation of smoking, alcohol, treatment of aggravating factors etc. Moderate cases are managed by drugs like diuretics, calcium channel blockers, beta blockers etc. Role of these drugs is to reduce the workload on heart. Severe cases can be managed with drugs and sometimes heart transplant. Patients with this problem usually presents with fatigue, breathlessness on exertion, breathlessness on lying flat etc. Diagnosis needs tests like EKG, Echo etc. If you want further information as per your specific case, please let me know. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service but if you have received anything less, please ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards