Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Recd a voice mail from my 30 yr daughter that she was

Customer Question

Recd a voice mail from my 30 yr daughter that she was diagnosed with rope worm. She is a health conscious vegetarian who eats mostly organic foods. She was extremely upset and said that she was trying homeopathic remedies because the treatment cost over $1,000.00. Now my calls to her go straight into voicemail. She lives in CA; could this treatment advice be real ? I saw some names of meds on line; but no prices.... I am grateful for your response. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

A diagnosis of rope worm infection is a controversial diagnosis. The first issue is whether the diagnosis is true.

Do you know what type of doctor she is seeing?

What test was done to diagnose the rope worm infection?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
presuming it is true, what is the procedure to cure? thank you I am a very worried mother

When I search the medical literature, there is not a single article about an infection by rope worm, so there is also no documented successful method for treatment.

So, from a medical perspective, there is no procedure for cure.

There are a number of medicines that can be used for worm infections that can be confirmed. For example, the most common worm infection is a round worm, and the usual first-line treatment is albendazole. This is an expensive medicine, costing about $120 per dose, but intestinal worm infections typically respond well to a single dose of the medicine.

However, I would first advise that if she should first have a valid evaluation for worm infections, and she may need to see a Parasitologist or an Infectious Disease specialist.

Is there any other information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you

You are very welcome.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. Once we are done, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.