Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Two years ago, I told my doctor I was due for a Papp smear..

Customer Question

Two years ago, I told my doctor I was due for a Papp smear.. She told that due to new regulations, medical exams were not necessary. Is this so?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Actually the latest guidelines state that every woman between the ages of 21 to 65 should undergo a Pap smear every 3 years or if they want to lengthen the screening interval and there are no risk factors which preclude this, they should undergo a pap smear and HPV screening every 5 years. These guidelines were published in 2012 and the latest guidelines are in the process of being updated. So as per the CURRENT accepted guidelines, you can undergo co testing (pap smear and HPV testing) every 5 years if there are no other risk factors here. BUt you DO need to undergo screening, i think your doctor may be referring to you undergoing the test every 5 years instead of 3 years. If you are under the age of 65, then YES you do need undergo screening.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,