Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My libido has been unusually intense lately. Just today I

Customer Question

My libido has been unusually intense lately. Just today I masturbated 3 times at work and I have never done that before--the most I have ever done was once and it is not a normal thing that I do. The sexual intensity that I felt today and have felt recently (to a lesser degree) has been very strong, almost like a weight on the brain and a burning in my loins (something I haven't felt since I was a teenager and just discovering masturbating).
A few background details:
•During times of stress I have found myself in the past year using masturbation as a way to relax. But typically it is just once that day, perhaps 30% of the time I might do it again.
•I don't consider myself a sex addict. Watching porn isn't an issue (getting in the way of my life--I just watch enough to aid in the act). I don't sleep with prostitutes or have extra-relationship relations.
•I am in a relationship and our sexual pattern has left me wanting and frustrated. We have averaged once every ten days over the past year (we've dated a year). When we do have sex it is a positive experience for both of us. I'd like to have sex an average of 3 times a week and feel that would satisfy that part of the relationship for me. This is really frustrating for me. She says she wants it more too, and I believe her. We're working through this.
•I work out a lot. Lift weights, run, do classes. Sometimes the next day I do feel that intense sexual drive. Not sure if this is related. It's usually if I engage in some type of workout I haven't done in a while.
•I had an anxiety attack 2 days ago and I haven't had one for a few years.
•I've been drinking heavy the past few months and feel I do abuse alcohol in general (average 3-4 drinks a night).
•I having been dealing with anxiety and depression for 20 years. I don't actively feel like I am depressed and haven't felt depressed for at least a year. The anxiety is probably at a low level and fluctuate to higher levels at times.
Thoughts? I am alarmed by the intense sex drive I felt today and have felt recently.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

drinking heavily and abusing alcohol can cause you to have higher hormone levels in your body and cause increased libido.

you need to talk to your doctor about getting help to decrease your alcohol use.

you may need treatment for your anxiety symptoms and depression.

increased anxiety can cause you to be more hypersexual as well. your anxiety is doing two things here, making you more hypersexual and also making you more worried about this.

this increased libido most likely is not due to a medical problem.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using