Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Pain left of navel. Usually when I first get up lasting

Customer Question

Pain left of navel. Usually when I first get up lasting minutes to a hour. Today it's off and on all day unless I lay down.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. How long has this been going on? What is your age?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
60. For 5 weeks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hx of diverticulitis. Fibroids of uterus. iBS. No diarrhea or bleeding only hurts when I am moving. Not sitting or lying. Usually only in the morning then goes away. Today it's all day.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Started a few weeks ago after planting trees. I assumed it was a muscle thing.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

If you strained a muscle in your abdomen, it would likely hurt whenever you contracted it, such as when lifting, twisting, bending, etc. In addition, there might be some tenderness when pressing directly on the painful area. If the pain does not seem to be task related, and feels deeper than the abdominal muscles, this might indicate a flare of your diverticulitis, or some other internal process such as colonic spasms or a kidney stone. Since this has been going on for 5 weeks (longer than most muscle strains), I would suggest you see your GP and ask about an abdominal CT scan. This will provide tremendous detail about what is going on inside the abdomen, as well as providing some details about the abdominal wall and musculature.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an appointment for this evening with a pcp. The pain today and yesterday have become worse. If I am lying still it goes away, but increases with any activity. It has become emotionally scary at this time. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome. There is obviously some inflammation somewhere that is responsible for your discomfort. When something like a kidney stone is present, it is very hard to find a comfortable position. When a viscus is inflammed, such as with diverticulitis, it is usually worse with movement and better with lying still, as you describe. If your PCP cannot figure it out by examining you and doing some basic blood tests, get the CT scan.