Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I was biten by a friend's dog on 7/25/16 and was just told

Customer Question

I was biten by a friend's dog on 7/25/16 and was just told the dog's rabies shots were not current. The dog seemed very agitated and aggressive. What do I do now?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Well if the dog was not vaccinated and is exhibiting signs of rabies then you need to IMMEDIATELY see your doctor or go to urgent care. In such situations where there are signs of rabies in the dog which would include excessive aggressiveness, foaming at the mouth, agitated behaviour etc then you would need to be vaccinated against rabies. You would need active immunization in most cases and if the suspicion of rabies is high in the dog, then passive immunization is also required. This means that you DO need to get anti rabies vaccine injected into your muscles for a total of 5 doses. These are given at 0,7,14,28,90 days and if passive immunization is used then you would need anti rabies immunoglobulins at a dose of 20 IU/kg half infiltrated at the site of the bite and hal intramuscularly.

Now it is possible that the dog doesnt have rabies, he needs to be observed for the next 10 days and if he does show signs, then you would need passive immunization as well. But i would recommend that you visit your doctor for a complete active immunization course of anti rabies vaccine.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,