Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I'm 66, ice seems to help briefly, and ibuprofen helps quite

Customer Question

I'm 66, ice seems to help briefly, and ibuprofen helps quite a bit. I'm just wondering why I feel pain in my knee when I yawn or breathe deeply, or sometimes when I am just sitting without moving my knee.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Hi Chryss. What part of the knee hurts? Did you injure it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No injury that I recall; it just started hurting one day. The pain is just left of my right kneecap.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Are you a runner or athlete?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no, just a retired woman who needs to lose weight to get my health under control
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

The inside portion of the knee is where osteoarthritis often arises first. So, keep this in mind. You could ask your doctor for an x-ray if you are concerned about this. It usually responds well to ibuprofen and naproxyn sodium (Alleve). Small movements can bring on the pain, as can walking, running, stairclimbing, etc. In the early stages of arthritis, or a tendonitis (which is temporary), certain movements or activities will hurt more than others and will improve steadily with rest.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, that's good information, so thank you very much. I'll keep on with the ibuprofen and RICE.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome. Hope this improves quickly.