How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 44815
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

84 year old male, has diabetes II, complaining of severe

Customer Question

84 year old male, has diabetes II, complaining of severe back pain and stomach pain. Has been suffering with watery diarrhea for the last 4-5 days. Refuses to go to hospital to be checked. Waiting to call doctor Monday morning. Question is, should we demand him to go to hospital now or wait. He hasn't ate today, just sipped some ice water, and broth. Tried walking around to see if the gas would pass, but he says it just makes his back hurt worse.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

This is Dr. David

watery diarrhea for 4-5 days could make him very very dehydrated.

this can lead to inflammation of his kidneys and his kidneys not working well

is he urinating at all?

he could be severely constipated or have a bowel blockage or bowel infection like clostrium difficile infection.

has he been on antibiotics recently before the diarrhea? antibiotics can lead to clostridium difficile bowel infection and severe diarrhea and dehydration.

he runs the risks for severe dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, kidney infection, even organs shutting down if he doesn't go to the hospital for some blood work and IV fluids.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using