Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I have tight and sharp pains in my chest, along with very

Customer Question

I have tight and sharp pains in my chest, along with very painful stomach cramps. What can I do?
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: Yes, but not as
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My mum suffers with heart problems But nothing in my history
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** I am reviewing your question and will get back to you with an answer ASAP!!

Can you tell me your age and gender? Where is the pain occurring in the stomach? under the ribs? Any diarrhea or vomiting? Is the chest pain central? or more towards the left? Is it radiating to the arm?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Chest pains which are sharp and stabbing in nature are less likely to be from the heart but the tightness is concerning. Secondly sometimes heart disease can mimic stomach issues and you can have pain directly under the rib cage. Now while this is less likely to be due to the heart but given your family history of heart disease, it is important to rule this out as a cause. A simple EKG would be enough to determine if this pain is originating from the heart or not.

Now stomach cramps with chest pains can be an indication of a problem with the acid in the stomach. This could be acid reflux which is coming back up in the oesophagus leading to the development of this sort of pain. This would also cause metallic taste in mouth and sometimes shortness of breath because of the acid going into the lungs. This can lead to inflammation of the ling of the stomach which is known as gastritis. Now if this is the case then it can be managed with the help of OTC prilosec which should be helpful here. In the long term an endoscopy would be needed as well.

Now given the positive family history as well as the chest tightness, along with the shortness of breath i would advise you to get a EKG to have the heart problem ruled out. You should visit your doctor if possible but it would be best to go to urgent care and get this evaluated.

Do you have any more questions? This session is open for all of your queries.

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,