Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

It starts with an itch. I the itch and it becomes a sore. It

Customer Question

It starts with an itch. I snatch the itch and it becomes a sore. It then itches again, I scratch the scab comes off it bleeds scabs over and the cycles repeats. I have had these sores for months. They don't heal for months a d when they do I am left with a large scar. They are now on all areas of my body but we're originally just on my arms. I tried covering them with antiseptic cream and Bandaid. They softened and I thought they were going to heal but they just went back to the cycle I mention earlier.
The worst one was on my tummy, nice and fat there. It was about 2mm across. I covered it and when I took off the bandaid it was five times the size and had had a baby about 20mm away. Recently another baby has appeared there and they are now on my buttocks. So basically they are spread all over, they itch, I scratch, they bleed profusely, they scab over and the cycle repeats. There is even one on my face now and i am terrified it will spread. Recently I cut my finger on a blade, I put a Bandaid on it and within 10 days it was completely healed. I also suffer from numbness and tingling in my hands which has not yet been identified. My hands seriously itch from time to time but I can settle it a little buy washing my hands in really cold water. I also itch all over my body where there is no rash or marks and I have searched the Internet but have not yet found a satisfactory cause. I am 59. I live in Australia. I am not a hyperchondriac at least I don't believe so. I just want to fix this mess or at least be able to name it or them. I use cholesterol meds, hypertension meds and depression meds and they all seem to be working OK. Please do your best to help me. Why don't young people ever get told the details of what could happen to them when they get older and advised on how to modify their lifestyle to avoid all this Crap. By the way, I rarely drink alcohol and I haven't smoked for 16 years.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to have few important details. You have any history of diabetes or any known medical illness? Any history of unprotected sex in the last 1 year? You are on any medications?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No diabetes. no sex at all. Medications:- cymbalta for depression. Crest or for cholesterol. Nexium for heartburn. Olmetec for hypertension. Panadol Forte for arthritic pain.
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the details. I would like to say that these symptoms should not be ta***** *****ghtly. There are few important possibilities which should be invetsigated such as scabies, contact dermatitis, viral infection and also important to rule out anything serious such as melanomas with the help of skin biopsy. I will highly advise to see dermatologist for detail evaluation and tests which should include skin biopsy and blood tests.

Please click positive rating hopefully excellent. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Don't worry if you forget anything you can always come back to me.

Best wishes

Amir

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Scabies has been ruled out because nothing changed after treatment for it. I tried Lyclear on two occasions but it was not successful.
The skin condition LOOKS more like the aftermath of a serious mosquito attack but it isn't from mosquito bite.
what part do you think is contact dermatitis?
I thought I might get a more definitive answer from you apart from the obvious and I already have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow. Do you have any other ideas that we haven't already looked into?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for coming back. I am glad scabies has been ruled out. Contact dermatitis is very common condition and can give the presentation like you are having it can give such itching, scabs and sores. It's important to rule out. Ask your dermatologist to do series of tests including skin scrapping and biopsy which will be the definitive gold standard test. Another possibility to look into is parasitic or fungal infection. I wish you all the best for the appointment.

Best wishes

Amir

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do often feel like I'm infested with invisible creatures. I've even had a magnifying glass out staring at an area that feel like there are bugs but I cannot see anything. Is it possible for parasites so small as to not be deep with a magnifying glass ? If so what are they?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 months ago.

Yes you are correct parasites are so tiny they can be easily missed with a magnifying glass like ring worm infestation. Please follow the guidelines which I have given you and you will find these helpful.

Best wishes

Amir