Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Ned because she as not pooped for a few weeks. Is there

Customer Question

ned because she as not pooped for a few weeks. Is there anything I can do to help her? Maybe some new food? Thank You, ***** *****
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Constipation that has been present for over a week needs an evaluation.

Dry stool can get impacted in the rectum causing obstruction and this can be troublesome in some cases.

I would suggest that you avoid enemas at this point in time. The way to go about it is to, start on plenty of water and add fiber to the food, psyllium husk or metamucil can help and is to be taken thrice a day every day. Along with that a stool softener like Syrup lactulose taken 20 ml twice a day will be beneficial. If all these measures do not help then getting an evaluation will be the best course of action.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.