Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had a flu type bug with fever, puking and all over body

Customer Question

I had a flu type bug with fever, puking and all over body aches. After 3 days my entire body broke out in a bumpy rash, mostly on my face and arms. went to ER they took a strep test and said its viral an has to go away on its own. They gave a medicine to stop the itching ( it never itched until the next day? probably just in my head. The medicine was also supposed to make me sleep seeing i hadn't slept more than 4 hours in 3 days...did the opposite wide a wake for 2 more days?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

What question can I help you with?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have no ongoing medical issues. The only medical concerns and medications are as follows:
neck injury from when I was a 12 year old competition gymnast living in Texas at olympic training center. Landing on beam incorrectly sent me home and finished my olympic training. I now over 30 years later have neck pain, bulging discs (5,6&7), degenerative disc disease, as well as nerve damage resulting in numbness in tips of several fingers, tingling in hands, feet and legs (only off and on) have also had legs and arms fail a few times in past 30 years. Have had prolotherapy shots, steroids, cortisone, norco, flexil, oxycontin, and many other off and on for the past 10 years. My preferred pain tolerance (continual) message therapy, accupunture and prolotherapy, I do not take medications as directed by doctors as I like to feel pain and emotions, which for me meds take away. I have had many many consultations for surgery in the past 10 years with 15 dr denying me due to the risk of paralasis (because of the nerve damage) 2 doctors will agree to do surgery once my children are 18 just incase it make my issues worse. anyhow, this is just background info. Issue today is the flu bug I've had which inluded, fever, nausea, puking for several days (i did injury my neck several weeks ago due to being rear-ended. I was stopped completely in traffic and was hit from behind by a truck going 50 mph, no skid marks, i did not hit car in front of me but the guy who rear-ended me was then hit by the car behind him which sent him into me again. I live in Hawaii and we have plenty of deadbeats so the car that hit me had no drivers license, no insurance, registration etc. the car that hit him, took off...anyway flu symptoms began following a week of being stuck in bed recovering from car accident injuries. After the puking stopped, still feeling weak and feverish but broke out all over my body with a red very raised bumps (started on forehead and face, then arms, then covered body) it did not itch in the beginning. The er doc gave me itching medicine that was also supposed to help me sleep as I am a longtime insomniac whom is used to only 4-5 hours per sleep per night. The meds prescribed by er did the exact opposite (as far a getting me sleep) i was wide awake all night and day...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
trying to send but it will not submit?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is more infor required or is this just incase? I keep sending but it keeps coming back to this add to comment section? maybe this is just what it does while I'm waiting for an answer?

Thank you for that additional information.

From what you have posted, I have to agree with the ER doc:

It sounds like you have a virus.

Unfortunately, the only treatment for a virus is time -- time for your body to kill off the virus on its own.

Sorry you are having problems sending data. The information you have been able to send so far is just fine.

The good news? In a week or so you should be just fine.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS