Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

Was picking black berries and a thorn went in my middle

Customer Question

Was picking black berries and a thorn went in my middle finger behind my nail. Thought I pulled all of it out but it started getting red, swelling and very tender to the touch. Soaked it in hot salts water a couple times a day and kept looking at it to see if I could see anything. Nothing. Went to a doctor he put me on antibodics. Said it was infected. Also did three x-rays of three different angles showed nothing. It's been two weeks and finger looks awful. Can barely touch it, Swollen still, small black area where he was trying to remove what he thought might be part of thorn--nothing there. The pain is keeping me awake at night and when it is bumped it hurts so bad I could cry. Doctor yesterday said it was red herron (sp) and was going to set up tests for blood flow. What is red herron?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 months ago.

Red herring (sp) just common term for false lead ...not medical condition ..

Sounds that you have skin infection --- cellulitis which has failed to respond to the first course of antibiotic ...

Follow up recommended

Possible that small foreign body in tissue is still present ..

You may benefit to see dermatologist for this ...

I think exam under magnification may be helpful to your case

I suspect that you need further antibiotic treatment with different class of antibiotic than the first

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD