Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

My bun creatinine is 40. Should I be concerned

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I amCustomerWelcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

abnormal BUN/Creatinine ratio is only meaningful if you have known kidney disease

if your creatinine levels are normal and your BUN levels are close to normal, then you don't have to worry about your kidneys.

how old are you?

are you drinking enough water?

being hydrated and drinking 1-2 liters of water daily is the best way to help your kidneys function at their best.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 2 months ago.

As I am first to respond your question ...

Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) is another measure of wastes (urea) in the blood. Urea is produced from the breakdown of protein already in the body and protein in your diet. A high BUN usually means that kidney function is less than normal, but other factors may affect the BUN level. Bleeding in the intestines, congestive heart failure, and certain medications may make the BUN higher than normal. As BUN rises, symptoms of kidney disease may appear, such as a bad taste in the mouth, poor appetite, nausea, and vomiting.

The normal BUN level for healthy individuals is 7-20 mg/dL in adults, and 5-18 mg/dL in children.

You have value of 40 , so you should once consult Nephrologist please .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,