Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

My mother .83 wf, has been on omeprazole 20 mg daily for

Customer Question

my mother .83 wf, has been on omeprazole 20 mg daily for last 6 months for acid relux
is there a safe way to taper off of it so as not to get rebound acid reflux?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of possible rebound acid reflux on stopping omeprazole in your Mom you have mentioned here, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns related to your Mom;

1) Did she try to come off omeprazole ever before and was there any issues with rebound acid reflux, or are you just generally concerned about this possibility?

2) Is she on a 20 mg tablet preparation of omeprazole or capsule preparation?

I have received your reply, should I answer here, or at your other question?

I see that you have opened 2 questions, sorry if you are facing technical glitches.

I asked this question at your other question too, Could you tell me how did you guys taper her off during the previous time?

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 2 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced Physician attending you

I will help you with the answer

Omeprazole 20mg should be decreased to half a day tablet for 1 week

This dose should be continued for 2 weeks

Then you can change to H2 blocker like Ranitidine

After she is on Ranitidine [zantac] for 2 or 3 weeks, it should be stopped

If symptoms recure when she is on zantac you can give lowest dose of omeprazole, that is half a tablet, alternative days/one day zantac, and next day omeprazole, and then stopped in 2 to 3 weeks.

Hope this helps

Request to leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, so that I'm compensated for the answer.

Any bonus is appreciated.

Best Regards

Patient is on Capsule, I can discuss this further and better if I get reply to my earlier question. It seems patient did try to come off Omeprazole before but had rebound issues so we need to address this issue more carefully.

To the other expert - when a question is asked to a client please let them first answer it and do not try to interrupt. The questions are asked to provide a better care, so please do not interrupt in the middle. This patient had rebound acid reflux issues before, you do not even know what approach they had tried before, so do not hurry to give an answer.

Hi Lucia, the answer I have given is for rebound reflux issues. Please try this way, she may feel normal while weaning. If any questions ask me, or request to leave a positive rating.

Best Regards

The possibility of rebound acid reflux is very low when one tries to stop omeprazole however rarely it can happen so you are doing the right thing of taking precautions I see that she did have rebound acid reflux issue before so your concern is genuine and appropriate so we need to address this issue earnestly

I had asked a question earlier regarding how was she tapered off earlier, I am asking this because she seems to have had issues with rebound acid reflux before, so I am curious to find out what method you guys attempted, so that we do not repeat it again, and risk rebound acid reflux again. What I will do is provide an initial answer to your question, if you guys tried similar approach before please let me know, I will provide you guys with alternate approaches.

This is one of the common ways of accomplishing this task of coming off Omeprazole and preventing the development of acid reflux;

I see that she is on 20 mg capsule preparation. It will be easier to taper off with a tablet preparation, so first she can switch to 20 mg tablet preparation

She can reduce the dose by 5 mg (one fourth or 1/4th of the 20 mg tablet = 5mg) once in every about week or so

So from the current 20 mg per day initially she will reduce to;

15 mg and stay on it for about a week,

Then on 10 mg x a week

5 mg x a week

And then to stop

So she will be coming off this medication over a period of about 3 weeks or so and this is very gradual tapering off and this should prevent the possibility of any rebound acid reflux developing in her.

The above approach should work out, if this does not work out then another effective approach is to institute treatment with H2 blocker acid secretion reducing agents like Famotidine or Ranitidine for some time (say for a week or two) and when symptoms resolve then the H2 blocker can be stopped without any rebound issues.

If you guys have already tried similar approaches please let me know, we can try some other methods to help her from developing rebound acid reflux issues while coming off Omeprazole.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, or if you want to discuss this further; and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,