Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have a difficult having bowrl movements because of

Customer Question

I have a difficult having bowrl movements because of possible dyssynergia...animus? Mostly, I cannot go without laxatives. It's hard to eat because my stomach is gurgles and is pain just with drinking water.Because of long term laxatives, I need continual help and have lost a lot of weight. Laxatives do not seem to work well including suppositories. They seem to work once or twice.Is it better to use glycerin or bisacodyl suppositories. It seems they work indifferent ways. I had semi loose bowel movement this morning but have strong urge to "go." I also have hemorrhoids. I had to use magnesium citrate a couple days ago because I was backed up and constipated.I am under a doctors care but because this is chronic, no one really wants to hear me. I have a nurse that will only do one enema now if I haven't had a bowel movement in three days. But system runs food through me pretty quick (no transit problem).Based on all this, should I use glycerin one day and something else the next? Fiber hurts my stomach although I eat some fruit and oatmeal daily. I try to eat salads and vegetables but it's getting harder and harder to eat. I stink Ensure too.i know glycerin draws water in but am not sure about Ducolax.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have hemorrhoids. My colorectal dr put a band on one and he said I can still use enemas and suppositories. I have rods from my neck to tailbone from scoliosis surgery. I have an abdominal hernia. I cut back from three hydromorphone to one 2 mg a day. I almost always feel pressure on my bottom. I feel constipated but mostly that is due to my defecation issue. I am in constant misery and it's difficult to eat. Oh and I have supra ventricular tachycardia. (I did not have all these problems until after scoliosis surgery. Some I brought on myself not knowing what can happen with straining to have bowel movements.). My colorectal Doctor might give me a colostomy if I pass a colonoscopy and I also have to pass the heart stress test. I already been through several tests:
Defocography - abnormal
Sitz marker- markets sat at bottom but could not exit (no slow transit)
Cardio- Passed heart tests except I need to do the stress in order to be released for surgery.
Gyn - normal with minor rectocele
I weighed 170 in Jan 2016 and now weigh 120 or less. I am trying to figure out how to make it through the tests and be healthy enough for surgery. It's like a catch 22. Laxatives are not always working. The magnesium citrate took 10 hours compared to a couple of hours the first time. I read a lot so I understand a lot that is going on. Oh, I am a 69 year old female.I know about fiber which is difficult for me but I finger some in me. I drink a lot of liquids. I do not get a lot of exercise because the more I walk, the rods press on my lower back and makes me feel like I have to go to the bathroom (injured myself straining and pushing back due to constipation. I was antibiotics, shots etc for acute bronchitis.)This has been my life for eight months. I was much more active after spine surgery and I know opiads worsened it all.I'm sure I gave you too much history. I am trying to get through each day. My normal routine was to have bowel movements at least twice a day and my body is still like they except now I cannot get it to exit.I read all the time they people use suppositories daily for years. I take it a few times and they don't work but maybe because I can't eat much. I'm drinking EnsurePlus at least twice a day.My gastro dr put me on one to two enemas and suppositories. I know people don't have to have bowel movements daily. I would love to be like that. My body wants to go. I try to stop the feeling/urges but it just gets worse.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I forgot to tell you. I am bloated and full pressure on my bottom which makes me think I am back up. I took magnesium citrate liquid three mornings ago and thought they cleared me but now I am not sure. I can't just go to ER as they "do not do when's."
I feel as if I have nowhere to go not even my doctors. I know they are all doing their best. Oh I also went to pelvic floor great which has not worked. I still try though. My nurse knows nothing about that and doesn't think Medicare will pay to just have enemas.
My family wants me to eat which I want to but my stomach hurts. Obviously I have a lot of fears. I am taking a mood food with b12's they help me to at least be positive outwardly.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I never received an answer. It was requested that I provide more medical history. I probably provided too much so I apologize.

Sorry...my day job has been busy!