Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My husband is suffering terribly from painful and bloody

Customer Question

My husband is suffering terribly from painful and bloody defecations. He has had a colonoscopy where they found nothing wrong. All his doctors have either said for him to change his diet or have a surgery performed that cuts the anal sphincter. He is not wanting that surgery because of the probability of leaking. He just turned 48.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I agree with your husband. If he is not bleeding so much that surgical treatment is an emergency, I would seek out a second opinion before having the anal sphincter cut.

At this point I think the best thing for your husband to do would be to gather up copies of all his medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that he could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hmmm...ok, go to university of texas or texas A&M, etc...

Texas A&M is good. If you could get to Dallas and go to UT that would be even better.

As an aside, both my boys in the Corps of Cadets at A&M

I wish your husband the very best.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, I will tell him. Good deal with your boys. Thanks. Anyways, U.T. is in Austin, just so you know

You know what they say about men: The mind is the second thing to go ;)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS