Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Will Clindamycin 300mg capsules help a UTI

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of UTI & using the proper antibiotic you have mentioned here, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns;

1) for how long are you having uti?

2) have you already tried other antibiotics?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just started symptoms this morning and don't have time to go to the doctors but I have the capsules I mentioned in my question from a previous prescription would they help with the symptoms or flushing the UTI at all?

Okay I see. Thanks for these additional information! I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Yes clindamycin can be used for uti

It is one of the antibiotic choices for treating the uti

But it is not considered as the first choice of antibiotics for treating uti

There are antibiotics like Augmentin, Levofloxacin, Ofloxacin, Cefixime, Azithromycin etc which are usually tried first

If you have urine culture showing bacteria exclusively sensitive to clindamycin or if the other first line antibiotics fail to help then generally second line antibiotics like clindamycin is considered

Once again to your main question, yes, clindamycin can be used to treat uti, however it is not the fist line antibiotic for this purpose, if you know the bacteria is sensitive to this antibiotic, or if the commonly used first line antibiotics did not help, then only using clindamycin is recommended.

f you cannot go to dr, if you have no choice at all then you may try clindamycin (at 150 to 300 mg every 6 hourly x 5 to 7 days at least), and it may help, but the standard approach is not to try clindamycin as first choice antibiotic for uti purpose for reasons mentioned above.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

typo was there, I meant If (not f), sorry for the typo.

Hi Please let me know if you have any further questions, of if you want to discuss this further.