Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I have a question, I went to the ER last weekend and had an

Customer Question

Hi I have a question
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I went to the ER last weekend and had an elevated d dimer minimally at .69 when cut off is .5
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a cat scan done and came back negative my right leg is now feeling eierd
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Is this a real peeson
JA: I'm the Doctor's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Hi I went to the ER last week for my chest feeling tight and my breathing feeling off. I had a complete cardiac work up in June and also visited an asthma specialist this past week. Both found nothing except pvcs which were considered benign. At the ER they ran a d dimer test which showed up as minimally postive at .69 where cut off is .5 they ran a cat scan with contrast which was negative. Now on Thursday night I started to notice my right leg feeling heavy and pressurey. The lower half of my leg (feels tired). I am also getting random goose bumps on only my right leg. I have driven a lot the past three days much more then I'm used to and have also slept on a couch the past three days. My right foot also feels colder. And I have a sore spot on my lower back on the right side. Should I chalk these feelings up to anxiety and driving a lot or do I need to be concerned? I am 28 and am otherwise healthy and not over weight
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 5 months ago.

Greetings

• I understand you are concerned about a clot in your leg given the abnormal D-Dimer. When there is an acute clot in the leg, the D-dimer is typically elevated, and therefore it is used as an initial screening tool for clots of the leg and the lung, before resorting to the more expensive tests (CT-scan or US)
  • However, when there is an Acute Clot in the leg (DVT), the D-Dimer is typically markedly elevated, NOT minimally elevated. I treat DVT and PE all the times, and I have not seen any of these two with just minimal elevation.
  • Driving long distance, classically regarded as a risk factor for DVT, is one of the medical myths and has never been scientifically proven. On the contrary, the evidence is against it being a risk factor. The rest of your symptoms are not specific to DVT
  • On that basis, we know you do not have a PE, and based on the information you provided, it is unlikely that you have DVT.
  • For your reassurance, you can have a Venous US done through your family doctor. It will assess the presence/absence of DVT

If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Let me know if you have any more questions