Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

My wife is about 3-4 weeks pregnant and is having diarrhea,

Customer Question

My wife is about 3-4 weeks pregnant and is having diarrhea, I saw online that it's save for her to take Imodium with (lorperamide)
But the box still says to ask a Healy professional. Is this safe?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Loperamide is a pregnancy category B drug which means it may be acceptable as either the human studies have not done or if done their is no risk in humans although in animal studies it shown to have some harmful effect.

Now next thing is that if your wife has diarrhea you need to see the doctor as it might be due to infection and an antibiotic might be required to treat it. Anti-diarrheal are generally not advisable in acute diarrhea as they may result in retention of toxins and thus a more serious infection.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating