Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

There's a spot at the very very back of my tongue that's

Customer Question

there's a spot at the very very back of my tongue that's itchy and kind of hurts. I can feel it rubbing against the top of my throat when I swallow but I can't see anything when I tried looking for myself. It almost feels like a mosquito bite on the back of my throat
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: I started feeling it a little bit last night but it wasn't bad and the back of my tongue gets itchy sometimes it's not a big deal, but I woke up this morning and it feels worse. no I don't think anything makes it better or worse
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No I don't think so
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now there are several conditions which can cause this problem. The first thing which comes to mind is that you could have a fungal infection at the back of your throat which is causing an ulcer in the region. this would cause the pain and itching which you are experiencing in the region. A simplethroat examination could diagnose the problem and if needed a scope can be inserted to look at the region. Anti fungal agents can get rid of the infection. Other causes of ulcers can similarly be excluded in this manner.

Another cause can be a sinus infection which is causing secretions to drip down in the back of your throat causing inflammation and these sensations. this would be evaluated with a throat examination, sinus xrays and then treated with antibiotics.

GERD or acid reflux can also cause these sensations to occur in the throat as the acid moves back up into the throat and causes irritation as well as hoarseness of voice, shortness of breath, metallic taste in the mpouth.Simple lifestyle changes as well as OTC prilosec would be helpful in eliminating the symptoms.

Lastly this can be a chronic infections of one of the structures of the throat which is causing irritation at the back of the throat, this could be an infection of the tonsils or the adenoids which can cause this problem.

the best solution here is to seek an ENT consultation and have him examine your throat and if needed run a few tests to get to the diagnosis. In the meantime try using OTC tylenol for the pain and OTC prilosec and see if that helps, but do get this examined.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/