Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Not sure the right place to ask this but it's in regards to

Not sure the right place to ask this but it's in regards ***** ***** clubbing and smoking and I'm asking this question here cause ice heard fingernail clogging can be a sign of many dreadful underlying diseases anyway I am a pack pack and a half smoker for the pat ten years or so but regular smoker for the pat almost twenty years I'm rounding upbto twenty now this year , anyway I see a lot of people that have clubbing mostly smokers as far as I know heavy smokers tow packs or better a day and I'm curious if one clubbed nails are for life the unsightly shape and bulbous appearance they take on and if I quit smoking and start exercising and hopefully find a way to eat healthy again if they will at all change appearance back to a more normal sightly looking shape ? I'm convinced that the mental change and issues unwatered having about ten years ago are the cause of my clubbing wether slight or extreme which is very upsetting to me due to fact that yes I was always a smoker but never smoked as much as I started to ten years ago as well as I was always active and always ate very healthy as well as I was sexually active something Naldo haven't been in just over ten years
What is the significance of clubbing based on all I'm saying I can upload pictures and I know your going to tell me they not really clubbed just yet due to it being in pictures and pictures not doing me justice as would in person
I hope this was clear enoug to get some type of price of mind answer I'm very distraught over this only cause it thanks to the mental issues I started having ten years ago which I've been to many mental health professionals about , none of which were any help thus far I kind of given up on these doctors cause I can't help them help me cause I can't explain what I also having trouble explaining right now but I do have moments of clarity but never enough to be worth anything cause even if I wrote it down pencil and paper I won't be able to explain to doctor what I wrote cause life distracts me and more so derails me mentally that much ! It's bull but this is the hand I been delt so to speak

Hello!

The clubbing of the nails is common for smokers...

From your history of smoking this makes sense ...

Clubbing would be a sign of chronic lung issues (= years of smoking ) this would be expected to correspond with you having COPD ( Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease )

The changes of clubbing are not due to psychological stress ...

Unfortunately you can't expect to change this issue back ...

It is of course best to quit smoking and that helps to stabilize your lung health ...

Your lungs would tend to get worse each year that you continue to smoke ..

If you have shortness of breath/ wheezing / poor exercise tolerance then you may benefit to see a pulmonary specialist

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the appearance they took on is permanent ? And I want saying psychological was the cause of clubbing but it was the cause of me smoking a lot more thank you this explained everything

Hello again,

Yes unfortunately if you have clubbing then you are stuck with that ... It does not resume to normal ..

Yes it is caused by the smoking ...

Let me know if I may be of further assistance

Best regards ***** ***** ...

Anthony Bray MD