Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am a Type !, insulin-dependent, who has worn a pump for

Customer Question

I am a Type !, insulin-dependent, who has worn a pump for the last five years; I have had juvenile (?) diabetes since I turned 25 years old; I will be 59 this September. My A1Cs have been typically 6.9 through 7.2. This morning, Eastern coast time - 4:53 am. I have been sick, with stomach pains - taking two Peptol Bismo, with extreme back pain - hardly can walk, making me lay down, for the last three days. My Kedoasidosis (?) is at 'Negative'. I thank you in advance for your answers.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Did the Pepto-Bismol help ease the abdominal pain?

Have you been taking anything for the back pain that has been bothering you for the past three days?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The most common cause of nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and back pain would be a viral infection. However, if the back pain started three days before the abdominal symptoms and you were taking medicines for the back pain, it also would be a possibility that the GI symptoms are side effects to the medicines. Several of the over the counter medicines can irritate the stomach, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen.

If you have not taken any of these medicines, then the usual management of a viral infection would be medicines to ease symptoms. If you have been taking one of these medicines, then it would be appropriate to stop the medicines and take a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as omeprazole. In either case, it is also important to be drinking plenty of clear liquids.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.