Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I've had diarrhea all day and I can't get rid of it

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are limited interventions that can be done at home to help calm diarrhea. Certainly, over the counter anti-diarrhea medicines, such as Imodium are appropriate. The other common recommendations are dietary changes. It will usually help to switch to only clear liquids, although better to avoid apple juice (the natural pectins in apple juice can make diarrhea worse).

If these interventions are not sufficient, another option would be to take diphenhydramine/Benadryl. While diphenhydramine is primarily an antihistamine, it is also partly an anticholinergic. There are stronger anticholinergic medicines for diarrhea available by prescription, but taking the diphenhydramine may be sufficient to augment the anti-diarrheal medicines to get better control of the diarrhea.

If the diarrhea is severe despite these interventions, then it may be better to be seen, both to exclude a more serious infection and to assure that dehydration is not developing. The vast majority of cases of diarrhea are either minor infection or a reaction to something that was eaten, and both will typically resolve spontaneously and it is only necessary to ease symptoms until it resolves. But if the diarrhea remains severe despite these interventions, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.