Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My friend has hypersalivation and has difficulty swallowing.

Customer Question

My friend has hypersalivation and has difficulty swallowing. Testing showed she had no obstruction in her esophagus. She is on a feeding tube and what further testing does she need. She has some numbness on the left side of her face and complains of pressure in her head. In February she was hospitalized with a stroke.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

stroke can be quite devastating depending on what part of the brain was injured in the stroke.

if part of the midbrain or brain stem was injured, this can affect swallowing reflexes.

she may need aggressive swallow rehabilitation from a swallow therapist.

there are VitaStim electrical stimulation of the neck swallowing muscles which could help her.

the stroke could have injured nerves which is causing the numbness on the left side of the face.

hypersalivation can be from nausea or stroke damage

medications like scopolamine patch and atropine drops in the mouth can help sometimes to decrease excessive saliva production.

let me know if you have questions.