Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.

I have a herniated disc and just had an epidural

Customer Question

I have a herniated disc and just had an epidural steroid/novocaine injection today. Four years ago, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, but I have had it well under control using diet and exercise (average A1C under 5.8 and often lower for four years). No one told me the steroid would raise my sugar! I checked and it was 289. I've been on the treadmill for 45 minutes and it went down, but when I stopped it rose from 171 to 184 again. Do I need the emergency room? Can I use metformin that is approx 4 years old, which I got, but didn't need to take then?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 2 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

I'm a Diabetologist as well

Yes, steroids raise the blood sugar, and the sugar levels should come back to normal in 3 or 4 days as the steroid levels decrease

Do not do heavy exercise to reduce blood sugar, do moderate exercise regularly.

If the metformin has not expired you can take it at metformin 500mg twice a day [when sugar levels are above 200]

You can take at half a tablet twice a day when sugar levels are around 150

Keep monitoring your sugar levels. It should be below 200 in 4 to 5 days. If they are persistently high, then go to ER

Hope this helps

Any questions you ask me

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, the only way we experts are compensated for answering you

Follow-up questions can be asked after the positive rating

You can get back to me anytime here,

Any bonus is welcome and appreciated

Best Regards

Dr Chaithanya