Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

I am a Type 2 Diabetic for a few years, a male 62 yo. I'm

Customer Question

I am a Type 2 Diabetic for a few years, a male 62 yo. I'm told to keep drinking fluids. My question is this: are dietetic soft drinks ok for Type 2s? I drink about two liters a day. What do you suggest in drinking diet pop for Type 2s?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 2 months ago.

Hi there

In general it is advisable to avoid artificially sweetened Soda, particularly in diabetics. In type II diabetes, obesity and overweight plays a major role in insulin resistance and the development of DM-II. Losing weight should be part of the target treatment. There is increasing evidence that people who consume large amount of artificially sweetened beverages, are at the same risk of developing obesity as those who use regular sugar. Therefore, it is best to adhere to the plain water for hydration.

If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes