Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I started a diet near a month ago after noticing my stomach

Customer Question

Hi I started a diet near a month ago after noticing my stomach getting bigger. My calorie intake before the diet was about 2700-3000 now it's about 1000-1250 sometimes I cheat and go to 1500 lol. Also I exsercise daily mostly cardio I do about an hour of excersizes a day on my lunch break I excersize 1 hour 5 days a week. I started the diet weighing 148 but now I'm 150 however my stomach is getting flatter. How could I be still gaining weight even tho I'm seeing results in my stomach. I've been on the diet almost a month. I have set nutritional limits for myself for example I can only eat 40g of sugar daily and 2500mg of sodium. How could I be gaining weight even though my stomach has gotten flatter???
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

In someone that is following a healthy diet and exercise regimen causing the loss of visible fat, but is not losing weight, it is usually because of increases in muscle mass because of the exercise. Within this context, muscle mass is not a health risk similar to fat mass, which is one of the limitations of using weight or BMI as the goals for weight loss. In the medical literature, there is much discussion that measures of fat mass are helpful to augment the use of weight or BMI. There are methods for determining the percentage of weight that is fat, called percent body fat, but this is not easily determined at home. There also discussion of using waist size or the waist to hip ratio as a measure of fat mass, and these can be more easily monitored at home. Since you stomach is getting flatter, then you would be having a decrease in waist size and in the waist to hip ration.

However, if you are losing fat, as seen by a flatter stomach or by objective measures of body fat, the increase in weight is not a health risk.

Over time, there will be a point at which muscle mass will plateau, and further loss of body fat will be reflected in a decrease in weight and BMI.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.