Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Knee hurting after lunges. What should I do?

Customer Question

I had an x ray today. After doing lunges my knee was very painful. X ray showed a shadow on my fibula but no pain in that area. Just my knee. Doctor has advised rest and ice, etc. Although I am still in lot’s of pain. There is no swelling or agony going up and downstairs but I can walk okay. I am 47 years old.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

This could be due to tendinitis or an inflammation of the knee joint capsule following the lunges. It is supposed to take 5 to 7 days to settle and not having swelling and stiffness rules out arthritis of the knee joint. I can not comment on the shadow? on the fibula, it can be an artifact or a soft tissue swelling but I do not see any reason why any swelling or shadow on or near the fibula will cause pain in the knee joint. Rest, ice, compression and elevation is the right thing to do at this point in time. A knee brace and application of an anti inflammatory over the counter liquigel like Motrin or Brufen gel will be effective.