Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

What are the effects of carbon monoxide exposure?

Customer Question

I was exposed to low level carbon monoxide for about 10 days. My doctor is treating me for anxiety. I have sleep difficulty and PTSD. I need to know if carbon monoxide would cause long term effects and how to treat it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

If you are exposed to carbonmonoxide for 10 days only then you are most likely suffer from effects which include

dizziness, headaches, nausea, light-headedness, sleepiness, difficulty concentrating and memory problems, as well as changes in mood. Long term effects after chronic exposure are memory loss, vision, behavioral and cognitive dysfunction.

Treatment of acute condition involves hyperbaric oxygen and in chronic exposure treatment of complications are symptomatic that is treatment is given according to presenting symptom.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I seem to have developed a temor in my arms, and have weird sleeping pattern since. is that cause for neurological concern?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

It may or may not be due to carbon monoxide poisoning, since, anxiety can also cause tremors and a change in sleeping patterns. Long term side effects are not seen with your level of exposure and as long as the exposure has been discontinued, so do not worry. You can visit your PCP and share your concerns.