Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I have been sick for quite awhile. Like almost every day. I

Customer Question

Hi I have been sick for quite awhile. Like almost every day. I have very low blood. My doctor thought I may be bleeding internally. I had the scope in my stomache and my bowel.I The surgeon said every thing is fine..I am bruising very easily. If I cut myself I bleed a lot. Sort of feel like I have the flue. I forgot to say my bruises are very dark. at times quite big. I am female 61 years old. I have a disability I have a bent spine. So I use a rollater where ever I go. I do not feel good. I am tired. This has been going on for quite awhile. My Doctor has not helped me. Do you have any ideas? Thank You Hannah
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now since you dont have any obvious site of bleeding from the stomach or the bowel and there is a tendency for you to bleed and bruise easily, i would consider that you may be sufferring from a hematological disorder in which the bone marrow may be affected. It is possible that you may have developed a disorder in which there is decreased production of platelets (which help in clotting) from the marrow or there is increased destruction of the platelets in the body. This would lead to the easy bruising as well as the bleeding tendency. ITP of immune thrombocytopenic purpura is a common cause of this problem. It is also possible that instead of the platelets being low in your body, they are normal in number but have a qualitative defect which decreases their activity. A qualitative platelet disorder is difficult to pick up.

Now i would suggest that you contact a hematologist after getting some basic tests done, which would include a CBC/ESR, peripheral film with a reticulocyte count and if needed irone studies, vitamin b12 levels, folate levels and eventually a bone marrow biopsy if necessary. But it sounds like you may have a hematological disorder. It is also possible that you may be suffering from an autoimmune disease and it is necessary to get tests like ANA and ESR done as well. Autoimmune disorders like lupus would also cause these problems.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.