Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I had a low fever today (99.9)...been struggling with

Customer Question

I had a low fever today (99.9)...been struggling with moderate sore throat for two days, and my bp went up to 150/100 two nights ago. I have had a cold before, but the feeling of extreme fatigue for the last two days is new. Today it went into major nose dripping/ sneezing. I made myself warm and sweated a little, but my face is still really hot. I take the hypertensive medication, telmisartan, so have avoided any nsaids. Can I take aspirin or something to help me out??? I cannot sleep and I feel terrible. My teeth even hurt. Years ago, I broke my leg (half-spiral of left fibula) and even my ankle feels swollen or full. I can only breathe out of one side of my nose for a while and then sneeze or move and then that gets plugged and the other side opens. Is there a miracle
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

You seem to be suffering from viral upper respiratory tract infection which is causing the sore throat as well as the malaise and fever.This is a self limiting condition which gets better in few days with maximum duration of symptoms being 7-10 days.

Best treatment at this stage would be to take acetaminophen tablets 500mg 4 times a day.Aspirin is not recommended as taking aspirin during such a viral infection can lead to a liver condition known as Reye's syndrome.

You may use a topical decongestant drops like oxymetazoline or afrin ( available over the counter from your local pharmacy) to be put in nose for maximum of 3 days.This will open up the blocked nose.

Do keep yourself well hydrated by drinking lots of water.

This is my initial answer.Please reply for any clarification.

That would help your troublesome symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 months ago.

You need an exam, and a throat culture.

Some of the symptoms you describe can be from strep, and yes, adults can get strep.

we can not examine you and we can not diagnose or test you.

Since this is still bothering you after 2 days, go to your doctors office or urgent care and have a strep test and throat culture.

The feeling of extreme fatigue can also be mono, which yes, adults can get.

We can not assume WHAT virus it is.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Yes it could be something that gets better, but be safe and see a doctor.

Find me anytime for accurate answers.

Please click a positive at the top of the page on this post.