Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Lately my leg from the top of my thigh to my knee will fall

Customer Question

Lately my leg from the top of my thigh to my knee will fall asleep. It doesn't do the tingling pins and needles it just feels numb. It's just my left leg. I can be sitting, or standing. The feeling comes back shortly but it's wierd. Could I maybe have a pinched nerve?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Stan, here to help you.
Board Certified with 40 years of Patient Care. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

This is most likely a positional circulation problem, not a nerve problem. You said it comes back quickly. Does it come back when you start to walk or change position? How old are you and do you take any medications?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it happens when I walk...goes numb. Sorry for the confusion. I was just walking through walmart and it went numb. That's why I was wondering if I had a nerve pinched somewhere. It doesn't come back that quick.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am 35, I take atenolol for my bp.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

In that case it could be nerve induced. Discuss with your PCP who may feel after a thorough examination that an MRI is needed. The medication is not causing it. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Please leave a positive rating of 3-5 stars. This is how I am credited for my response. Thank you and feel better.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If it was positional circulation problem what would cause that? What would an mri do? I can't afford an mri....would this be an emergency thing?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

It is not an emergency unless it becomes a continuous problem. An MRI would show compression of a nerve in your low back. Circulatory, because of your high blood pressure.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well bits wierd. It used to do it when I rode in the car or sat for a while. It went away and i didnt notice it now its back and Now it's anytim walking or sitting. It's not everyday but maybe once or twice a week.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's not the pins and needles feeling it's more like someone shot my leg with novacaine...like when you get numb at the dentist.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Now you are describing a pinched nerve, at the Lumbar 3-4 level. Again it is not an emergency, but should be evaluated by either your PCP or an Orthopedist. If you don't have insurance you can be evaluated at an Urgent Care Center. You can try light stretching exercises and over the counter NSAIDS such as Advil or Aleve until you can get evaluated.