Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am 27year old female, very active (running, weights, yoga,

Customer Question

I am 27year old female, very active (running, weights, yoga, cycle) but I am a smoker.
After taking a nap 3 days ago, I woke up with the left side of my back really stiff. The stiffness progressed into chest pains that strike anytime I take a deep breath in, yawn, hunch, bend over. It feels better after taking an analgesic, but when that wears off and it can wake up in the middle of the night. It seems to be getting worse by day 3.I've tried taking deep breaths, stretching, relaxing, and have taken the day off from excercise.
What is this? Can it be fixed by just resting and anti-inflamatory meds, or do I need to go in for treatment.
My health insurance is horrible, and I can't afford a lot right now, but I'd like to catch this now if it may only continue to get worse.
Thank you
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: Never had this. And shortness of breath only because I can't fill my lungs up all the way
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, otherwise I am happy and healthy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

With the symptoms that you are having, you are most likely having a muscular pain that should be helped by anti-inflammatory medications and rest.

But I would certainly recommend that you be seen in the emergency as, this may represent a pneumothorax, which is a serious life threatening emergency that can cause chest pain and shortness of breath to happen all of a sudden.

This can simply be ruled out by doing a chest x-ray.

So I would certainly recommend that you be seen in the ER to be on the safe side even though the most likely cause a muscular pain but something serious must also be considered and ruled out.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards