Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

To begin it may be helpful for you to know that I have

Customer Question

Hi - to begin it may be helpful for you to know that I have battled with IBS for about 20 years and 4 years ago I developed chronic pelvic pain syndrome, which generally subsided over the course of 2 years. Now to the question - last week after reading a book on IBS, I decided to try a couple of recommended supplements to treat the IBS. On the positive side, my bowel movements firmed up for the first time in years and were more or less formed, although they still don't look completely normal. However, 1 or 2 days after, I became constipated. I have almost never become constipated. It took me about 45min to an 1 hour to pass a bowel movement and it was quite painful. Since that time I can pass a bowel movement relatively easily every morning like I used to although the bowel movement is drier and harder than before. The problem is some of the symptoms of the chronic pelvic pain have come back including some pain from my prostate. Additionally, I often feel throughout the day like I have to have another bowel movement even though I had one that morning. Almost immediately after my morning bowel movement I have this feeling in my lower abdomen and rectal area like I need to go to the bathroom to have a bowel movement even though nothing will come. I am wondering what might be causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

Based on your history above I would be suspicious that you may have trouble with chronic or recurrent prostatitis ...the prostate if enlarged / infected / tender --- may well lead to pain with having a BM as symptom and may relate to your chronic pelvic pain ...

I recommend that you seek further evaluation by a urologist

A digital rectal exam go to check your prostate and then a urinalysis may be very helpful here

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your response. I agree a visit with urologist would be helpful. But, to be clear I already know I have chronic pelvic pain syndrome. What I am wondering is what is causing the feeling of an incomplete bowel movement? This is a new symptom.

Yes that could be related ...the rectum is adjacent to the posterior aspect of the prostate ...a sense of incomplete evacuation COULD relate to prostate inflammation ....

Rectal wall issues could be behind this symptom as possible too ...