Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Left shoulder pain that runs down to the arm.

Customer Question

I have a left shoulder pain that runs down my left arm. It starts at my shoulder blade and continues further. I take Aleve but that really doesn’t help. I type all day at work and thought it was Arthritis related. Typing at work seems to aggravate the pain. Having my arm down to my side also causes discomfort. I keep it close to me and sometimes heat helps. I am pretty healthy, non smoker and non drinker.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.
The pain could be arthritis related. You could have inflammation in the bones of your spine in your neck which can pinch on nerves coming out of your neck spinal cord which can cause pain that runs down your left arm. You need to see a doctor right away and get an exam of your neck and arm nerves. You most likely will need an MRI scan of your neck cervical spine to look at the bones and disks and nerves there. You may need an MRI scan of your brachial plexus as well which are the nerves above your lungs before they enter your arm. You should see a doctor as soon as you can.