Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My mohs surgery was done at 9am and the closure at 11am and

Customer Question

My mohs surgery was done at 9am and the closure at 11am and finished by 12. My paperwork says to leave the bandage on 24 hrs but his nurse told me I could do so "in the morning " . Is there danger in removing it at 930?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Well usually a dressing is left on for 24 hours, the dressing can be removed at any time after the 24 hours are up. You can remove the dressing even if there is a delay of a few hours after the completion of 24 hours. The dressing has tobe left on for 24 hours so that teh wound has enough time to heal and to prevent infection, but you can take it off after a few hours (4-6 hours) of the 24 hour time period elapsing. But dont remove it before 12 PM, keep it on until the 24 hours are up.It can be taken off later but it is advisable NOT to take it off earlier than specified.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What I'm asking is if I can remove the dressing EARLY about 9am which about 5 hrs early.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there danger in doing this?

I think you didnt get my edited answer, ill leave it here again, ill highlight the part about removing the bandage earlier than usual

Hi, Thanks for this question. Well usually a dressing is left on for 24 hours, the dressing can be removed at any time after the 24 hours are up. You can remove the dressing even if there is a delay of a few hours after the completion of 24 hours. The dressing has tobe left on for 24 hours so that teh wound has enough time to heal and to prevent infection, but you can take it off after a few hours (4-6 hours) of the 24 hour time period elapsing. But dont remove it before 12 PM, keep it on until the 24 hours are up.It can be taken off later but it is advisable NOT to take it off earlier than specified. The danger in removing it earlier can be that there can be increased chances of infection etc, which are miniscule but even still it is advisable to keep it on for 24 hours. The dressing done after surgery is completely sterile and that quality of dressing can be achieved at home, so it is better to give it 24 hours to prevent infection and promote healing. Do you have any more questions?Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/Do you have any more questions? Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure if I can ask followup questions

There seems to be a problem in the interface, ill clearly outline your information for you below,

Dont remove it before 12 PM, keep it on until the 24 hours are up.It can be taken off later but it is advisable NOT to take it off earlier than specified. The danger in removing it earlier can be that there can be increased chances of infection etc, which are miniscule but even still it is advisable to keep it on for 24 hours. The dressing done after surgery is completely sterile and that quality of dressing cant be achieved at home, so it is better to give it 24 hours to prevent infection and promote healing. While it can be removed earlier than usual, i wouldnt recommend it, it is only 3 hours ...its best to give the incision as much time as you can to heal and at the same time prevent it being exposed to the environment which can promote infections. I usually let all my surgical patients keep the same dressing which was done immediately post surgery for 24 hours for similar reasons. I have found that it helps in preventing infections etc.

Do you have any more questions?

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/