Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

What type of Dr should I see for pain & discomfort in my

Customer Question

What type of Dr should I see for pain & discomfort in my pelvic and hip area ?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: nothing makes it worse, just feels like a ligament or muscle sprain. Pain has been there 6 months. Just agrravating
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello

And welcome.

and welcome.

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

If it is muscular, skeletal pain, then the best doctor to see is a specialist in physical medicine.

They are called physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors or physiatrists.

If this is not clearly structural, your internal medicine doctor or family practice doctor can screen you for referral.

You do not need a referral necessarily.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 4 months ago.

Greetings

• Pain or discomfort in the pelvic area could have numerous potential sources, including skeletal, rectal, genital, nerves etc. a long list
  • The most cost and time effective way to resolve this, is to start with you family doctor who can performed the initial assessment and possible initial testing and could also just resolve your issue. If needed, he/she would be the best person to direct you to the right specialist according to his/her assessment. Certainly, the physical rehab specialist is the wrong doctor to go to at this stage. It could be very well be waste of your time

Best wishes

Hi.

In the case of muscular or skeletal pain, family doctors are not usually as well trained.

Find me as needed for correct answers.