Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

I was advised that my son had a viral infection in his

Customer Question

I was advised that my son had a viral infection in his tummy. He has high amount or periumbilical lymph nodes as stated in ultrasound. Is he safe to be around other children. He is no longer coughing just still has pain in stomach and feels nausea. He has a indoor swim club tomorrow night that he will be going to but not swimming. Is he contagious at all??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and all other medical conditions including the concerns of risk of viral spread from your child you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

If he is just going to the swimming club but he himself is not swimming then it should be okay

Also I see that he is not coughing now

It is certainly safe now for him to be around with other kids and other people

The gastrointestinal viral will spread through oro-fecal route (through saliva, vomitus, fecal matter/stool etc) or sometimes also by coughing etc, but in his case these do not appear to be the issues because he himself is not going to swim so the virus is not going to enter the water and spread to others, also some gastrointestinal viruses can spread through coughing too but in his case it seems he is not coughing anymore so looking from any angles he is not contagious now. Through food & drinks too gastrointestinal virus can spread so he should avoid sharing these with others.

Once again I reassure you that your son is not contagious to others as long as he himself is not participating in swimming, also if he is not sharing his food, beverages etc to others, and also if he is not coughing anymore, so he can certainly visit the indoor swim club as scheduled tomorrow without being contagious to others.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Hi, Please let me know if you have any further questions, or need any additional clarifications. Best regards!