Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am a 61 yo female. My jaw bone is disintegrating to

Customer Question

I am a 61 yo white female. My jaw bone is disintegrating to wherethe dentist isn't sure about implants and as I have govt insurance he said I couldn't afford him and there was nothing else he could do for me. That was 2 weeks ago and now my upper is going Sooo fast its cutting into my cheekbones, more so on the R than the L but it is progressing so quickly I can't find anyone to help me fast enough or even if I have found the correct type of physician! I went to see my Family doctor today and she would not even look! I don't understand and I'm terrified!! Also, before I forget, I have had a deviated septum since my 20's ( the music business), and just in the last couple of days it has been really bothering me. Please help me! Please!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing there can be a number of conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one which comes to mind is that you couild have a chronic infection of the bone which is known as osteomyelitis. This can cause the bone to degenerate over time. if this is the case then a bone biopsy and culture or even a bone scan would be diagnostic and IV antibiotics would be needed according to the culture reports.

Another cause of this could be associated with a tumor of the bone which can cause it to breakdown over time. This would again need a biopsy to be diagnosed as well as with MRI imaging of the bone, removal of the affected bone would be helpful here.

ANother cause can be sinus pneumitization. When molars are removed from the upper jaw, air pressure from the air cavity in the maxilla (maxillary sinus), causes resorption of the bone that formerly held the teeth in place. As a result, the sinuses become enlarged, a condition called “sinus pneumatization”.

If the problem doesnt lie in the jaw bone itself it can be a disorder of calcium or phosphate metabolism, this means that this could be due to an excess amount of parathyroid hormone being produced, this can cause resorption of bone in other regions of the body as well. calcium and phosphate levels as well parathyroid hormone levels would be diagnostic.

In short this condition requires a complete evaluation by a oro-maxillo-facial surgeon as well as an internal medicine specialist alongwith an ENT specialist to get to the root of the problem. Once diagnosed all three of them can make a plan on how to approach this problem.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/