Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Does augmentin work work on gonorrhea?

Customer Question

Does augmentin work work on gonorrhea?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Augmentin does not work well for gonorrhea. Gonorrhea strains have shown increasing resistance over the years, and many antibiotics that used to work well for gonorrhea are no longer considered sufficient to treat the germ. There was a time that Augmentin was adequate treatment for gonorrhea, but it is no longer considered appropriate treatment.

That does not mean that it will never work. If a culture is done and sensitivity testing show that it is sensitive to Augmentin, then it would still be effective. But we usually want to start treatment before sensitivity testing can return, and we prefer to use a drug that works on >95% of isolates, and with the current sensitivity patterns in the US, the only antibiotic that is currently recommended is Rocephin/ceftriaxone.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.