Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I was put on WP

Customer Question

I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I was put on WP Thyroid 2 Grain and then, about 3 weeks later, I wasn't feeling as good as I'd hoped and I was increased to 3 Grain. What's odd is that, when I first started the 2 grain and then again when I increased to the 3 Grain, I started feeling really good..... and then I'd be right back to feeling run down, no energy, no motivation, etc. Is this normal when starting/increasing dose of meds? Will I eventually feel better again? Do I need to look into a different medication? Increase dose again? I'm at a loss and looking for some direction.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 months ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

WP thyroid can vary in its strength, even batch to batch.

In addition, it has more T3 than is normal. Good for some patients, bad for others.

First of all, you need to see what your TSH is.

Optimal for most people is around .8.

Above that, and you still might need more.

Below, you might need less.

You might actually need synthroid, a t4 preparation, which many people do better on.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here