Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in April of 2014. It

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in April of 2014. It was under control and I felt good and even started exercising again and then I quit smoking on March 1st. It's been 5 months since I quit and I still feel terrible. Since I quit, I've had trouble with breathing and chest discomfort. (Not all the time) I've gained weight despite the fact that I eat cleanly with lots of fruits and cruciferous vegetables. I've had some days when my heart rate is so high, I need a beta blocker and other days when its only 54 BPM. I can be very irritable at times and then cry at the drop of a hat other times. I am tired but still push on because I have to. I do have a good amount of stress in my life on a daily basis. I had my labs done in April and they came back normal. I am taking 5 mg of Methimazole every other day and 10 mg on the other days. Frankly, I felt better when I was smoking. I have no desire to start again but I am so tired of feeling sick. Occasionally, I have a dry cough. I would like to start exercising again and even purchased a rowing machine, but by the time I could get to it. I've already worked a 13 hr. day and fatigue has set in, and I work every day. Could there be something else wrong with me that the smoking was masking?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 4 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for the question ...

As you have Graves disease which is under control and you feel fatigued , stressed , regarding that I want to share with you that Graves disease in some cases associated with other Autoimmune disease like Lupus , Pernecious anemia ( Vitamin B 12 ) deficiency .

So it would be ideal for you to get check your B 12 levels along with test for Lupus to rule out other issues being reason of your symptoms , so that appropriate treatment may be offered to you .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-abid/

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 4 months ago.

Are you there ...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am still here. I eat either chicken or turkey everyday so I don't think I have a vitamin deficiency. I don't have chest pain per se, it's more of a discomfort or pressure if you will. Why would these thing just start happening only when I quit smoking?
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 4 months ago.

Once you quit smoking , body catecholamine levels diminishes and body equilibrium is disturbed .

This is all the game of Ctaecholamine that results in to symptoms , you should gradually quit it and take Nicotine gum 4 mg three times a day .

Regards.

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .