Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have been diagnosed with MGUS and have a M spike of 1.60

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with MGUS and have a M spike of 1.60 and IgG of 2500 and IgA <5 and IgA 41. I have had repeated unusual infections of over the lastop 6 months. Ranging from cellulitas, UTI, prostatitis, and hidradenitis. The oncologist is not sure why my IgA is so low which could normally indicate advanced cancer. Do you have ever any ideas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 4 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for the question ....

Low Ig A Levels indicate Primary immunodeficiency .

The IgA antibodies in the secretions play a major role in protecting us from infections in these areas. IgG and IgM are also found in secretions but not in nearly the same amount as IgA. IgA present in these secretions is also termed secretory IgA. If human mucosal surfaces were spread out flat, they would cover an area equal to one and a half tennis courts, so the importance of IgA in protecting mucosal surfaces cannot be overstated.

As you have recurrent infections so Primary deficiency is highly likely not the advance cancer .

It would be ideal for you to consult Immunologist once please for proper advise .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-abid/

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 4 months ago.

Are you there ...